The Holiday Gift Auction is Live! Click here and bid now on great local gifts!
Crime & Courts

Woodstock man pleads guilty in kidnapping of 13-year-old girl

Ericsson J. Gumesindo, 20
Ericsson J. Gumesindo, 20

WOODSTOCK – A Woodstock man accused of kidnapping and sexually assaulting a 13-year-old girl will avoid a trial after pleading guilty to a kidnapping charge as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

Ericsson J. Gumesindo, 20, entered a blind guilty plea Thursday to one count of aggravated kidnapping, a Class X felony. He faces between six and 30 years in prison on the charge. He will be required to serve 85 percent of whatever sentence is imposed, according to state law.

The case was expected to go to trial June 19.

There is no agreement between Gumesindo’s attorney, Francisco Botto, and Assistant State’s Attorney Randi Freese. McHenry County Judge Michael Feetterer will sentence Gumesindo on July 6. All other charges against him were dismissed by the state’s attorney’s office as part of the plea agreement.

Gumesindo is being held in McHenry County Jail custody without bond because of a pending immigration matter. Gumesindo was picked up by Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials earlier this year while out of custody. Prosecutors said immigration officials intended to deport him shortly after they issued an order at the end of April. Feetterer revoked his bond so he could stay in jail until the case was resolved.

Gumesindo was arrested in July 2014 and charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, criminal sexual assault, residential burglary, aggravated criminal sexual abuse, aggravated kidnapping, kidnapping and possessing a stolen motor vehicle.

Woodstock police were called July 29, 2014, to the home of a 13-year-old who was reported missing.

Police were taking a kidnapping report when Gumesindo drove up in a vehicle, which had been reported stolen, to drop off the heavily intoxicated girl, Assistant State’s Attorney Dave Johnston previously said in court.

Two days earlier, Gumesindo’s friend let him drive a vehicle belonging to her father, and he went into Wal-Mart to secretly make a copy of the ignition key, Johnston said.

Late on July 28, Gumesindo was hanging out and drinking alcohol with the 13-year-old’s older sister and another group of teenagers at her house. They were kicked out by the girls’ father, and the younger girl was put to bed, but the older sister left with the group of boys, Johnston said. The 13-year-old was so intoxicated, Johnston said, that her father found her passed out on the lawn covered in vomit.

As they were driving around town, Gumesindo is believed to have dropped off the group – including the older sister – on the side of the road and went back to the 13-year-old’s house, where he cut a screen, broke a window and took the girl from the home, Johnston said.

Authorities believe the sexual assault happened at a nearby park when she was drifting in and out of consciousness, he said.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.