RICHMOND – A house fire Thursday at Hazelridge Acres Dairy Goats farm killed a family dog and sent a cat suffering from smoke inhalation to the Fox Lake Animal Hospital.
The Spring Grove Fire Protection District responded about 9:30 a.m. Thursday to the scene of a house fire at 9013 Winn Road, Richmond, and found smoke coming from the back of the house, Fire Chief Rich Tobiasz said.
Occupants evacuated by the time responders arrived, but several pets were trapped inside, Tobiasz said. Crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire using less than 200 gallons of water and evacuate the remaining pets, but the house was left uninhabitable, Tobiasz said.
A box alarm was activated because the rural area has no hydrants and the weather was hot and humid, Tobiasz said.
He said that a kitchen fire appeared to be the cause of the blaze.
Tobiasz said there was about $120,000 in damage, mostly in the kitchen area.
Fire crews from Richmond, Hebron, Harvard, Wonder Lake, McHenry, Woodstock, Fox Lake, Antioch, Grayslake, Lake Villa and Wauconda responded to the scene. Members from the Lake Zurich Fire Department, Cary Fire Protection District and Salem Fire Department in Wisconsin also provided resources.
The American Red Cross was at the scene assisting at least three occupants of the home.