WOODSTOCK – One of McHenry County’s top 10 fugitives, who is facing felony drug charges, turned himself in Monday, authorities said.
Cortez V. Simpson, 25, of McHenry was charged in February after authorities said he conspired and sold more than 1 gram but less than 15 grams of cocaine with three co-defendants.
He faces charges of criminal drug conspiracy, delivery of a controlled substance within a public housing complex, delivery of a controlled substance and possession of a controlled substance, according to court records. He could be sentenced up 30 years in prison if convicted of the most serious charge.
One of Simpson’s co-defendants, Kenneth L. Price, 28, of Crystal Lake, also has a warrant out for his arrest. Co-defendant Tonya Krich, 33, of Woodstock, who faces similar charges, will appear in court Monday, and Michelle A. Lopez, 26, of Crystal Lake will appear in court Sept. 1, according to court records.
McHenry County Sheriff’s Lt. James Wagner said factors considered when deciding who makes the top 10 list include:
• The defendant must have an outstanding warrant for a felony crime.
• The crime usually involves some sort of violence, drugs, guns or a sex offense.
• The apprehension unit or other law enforcement agencies tried to serve a warrant and were unsuccessful.
• The individual has a McHenry County connection.
• He or she might be a suspect in an ongoing investigation.
• The individual usually is a repeat offender or has multiple warrants out for his or her arrest.
• Authorities believe the public can help them find that person.
This is the third McHenry County fugitive apprehended in the past two months. Justin E. Dean, 25, of Wonder Lake was arrested July 27 after being wanted on a charge of possession of a controlled substance after police said he had less than 15 grams of oxycodone.
James Buttacavoli Jr., 43, turned himself in Thursday after being wanted on 2016 charges after authorities said he possessed more than 2,000 grams of marijuana and more than 50 marijuana plants.
Bryan J. Stoltenberg, 31, recently was added to the top 10 list. He is wanted on charges of aggravated possession of a stolen firearm and possession of marijuana. Stoltenberg’s last known address is 824 Shawnee Trail, Lake in the Hills.
Simpson remained in McHenry County Jail custody as of Tuesday on $250,000 bond, according to jail records.
He is expected to appear in court Thursday.