Greetings! Jack DeRue here, your retriever of reality, ready for another round of trivia.
Before I begin, let me clear up something that appears to have some marriages in the middle of trivial tiffs. Evidently, some husbands think I’m making some of this stuff up, while their wives take me as gospel.
The truth is, unless I say in advance otherwise, everything is true. If I toss in a false fact, I’ll warn you and let you know which one it is.
So, wives, keep on naively believing me. Husbands, please just read the instructions.
Anything beyond that is not my fault.
Here’s some appropriate marriage trivia …
1. The original meaning for the word “bride” meant “cook.”
2. Las Vegas has the most weddings per year at more than 100,000. Hawaii is second with about 25,000.
3. According to one best-selling book, men are from Mars and women are from Venus.
4. Washington, D.C., has the lowest marriage rate in the nation.
5. The average cost of a wedding is the same as the average cost of a divorce. ($20,000)
6. Married men change their underwear twice as much as single men.
7. The wedding ring goes on the left ring finger because supposedly it’s the only finger with a vein connected to the heart.
8. Elton John once charged more than 2 million pounds ($2,616,970) to sing at a wedding.
9. 26,000 couples get married every day in China.
10. Queen Victoria’s wedding cake weighed 300 pounds. Eventually, so did she.
Stay inquisitive, my trivial friends!
• Jack DeRue is an award-winning author and syndicated columnist. He can be reached at email@example.com.