McHENRY – The McHenry Township Fire Protection District is reminding residents of how to prevent dryer fires after one recently caused about $4,000 in damage.
The district was dispatched at
2:56 p.m. Oct. 11 to 114 Springbrook Court, McHenry, for a possible structure fire, according to a news release from the district.
Emergency responders found a small fire with clothes in the dryer and quickly extinguished it with a water extinguisher. The fire started in the lint trap of the dryer and was deemed an accident, according to the release.
The home still is habitable, and damages are estimated at $4,000, according to the release.
The district is reminding residents not to use the dryer without a lint filter and to make sure the filter is clean before or after each load of laundry.
Other tips the fire district recommended include:
• Cleaning dryer vents at least once a year and cleaning the area behind and underneath the dryer
• Not overloading the dryer
• Turning the dryer off when no one is home or when residents are sleeping
• Keeping the area around the dryer clear of items that can burn, such as boxes, cleaning supplies or clothing
• Having a qualified professional inspect gas dryers to ensure the gas line and connection are free of leaks
• Using rigid or flexible metal venting material to sustain proper air flow and drying