CARY – The second floor of a Cary home sustained heat and smoke damage after a dryer caught fire Wednesday morning.
Cary firefighters responded about 9:54 a.m. Wednesday to the 3200 block of Crystal Lake Avenue in Cary for the report of a structure fire, Cary Fire Capt. Andy Veath said.
A neighbor who was visiting the home heard the smoke detectors go off, smelled smoke and called 911.
“It’s good that people were home, able to hear the smoke detectors, call 911 immediately and get us out there quick," Veath said.
The fire was not visible from the outside of the building, but firefighters were able to quickly extinguish it inside the home.
Veath said the laundry room, hallway and a bedroom on the second floor sustained a fair amount of damage. A damage cost estimate was not yet available Wednesday, and no one was injured in the incident.
Cary fire investigators determined the fire's cause to be accidental.
Firefighters from Nunda, Fox River Grove, Barrington Countryside, Algonquin-Lake in the Hills, Wauconda and Barrington also automatically responded to the fire.
A dryer fire in McHenry that cost homeowners about $4,000 prompted the McHenry Township Fire Protection District to issue some tips to avoid the incidents.
The district reminded residents not to use the dryer without a lint filter and to make sure the filter is clean before or after each load of laundry.
Other tips the fire district recommended include:
• Cleaning dryer vents at least once a year and cleaning the area behind and underneath the dryer.
• Not overloading the dryer.
• Turning the dryer off when no one is home or when residents are sleeping.
• Keeping the area around the dryer clear of items that can burn, such as boxes, cleaning supplies or clothing.
• Having a qualified professional inspect gas dryers to ensure the gas line and connection are free of leaks.
• Using rigid or flexible metal venting material to sustain proper air flow and drying.