Local

Appellate judge denies convicted Woodstock sex offender's request for lighter sentence

WOODSTOCK – A former Woodstock man convicted of sexually assaulting women in what one victim called a sex dungeon will remain in prison serving a 36-year sentence, according to a recent appellate court ruling.

Attorneys representing 49-year-old Charles Oliver previously had filed a motion to reconsider Oliver’s 2014 sentence, which they argued was “excessive,” according to the motion. Second District Appellate Judge Robert McLaren denied the motion Dec. 4.

Oliver was found guilty of criminal sexual assault and unlawful restraint in what was expected to be the first of eight trials. One month later, he pleaded guilty to two additional sex crimes, and the remaining charges were dropped. McHenry County Judge Sharon Prather subsequently sentenced him to 36 years in prison.

His attempt to appeal the conviction in 2016 was denied.

Oliver’s former defense attorney, Mark Facchini, has since been appointed a McHenry County associate judge. Representatives from Facchini’s previous firm, Donahue and Walsh, could not be reached for comment.

In a Jan. 12, 2016, motion filed in McHenry County court, Facchini argued Oliver had led a “law-abiding life” before the charges were brought forward and that the “character and attitude of [Oliver] indicate he is unlikely to commit another crime.” 

McLaren, however, disagreed and said the evidence presented during trial suggested Oliver’s behavior was part of a pattern.

“…The evidence proved that the crimes of which defendant was convicted were not isolated incidents but part of a pattern of contacting women online to arrange in sexual acts for money and then engaging in the assault, abuse and humiliation of these women,” McLaren wrote in his Dec. 4 order.

The judge also noted that Oliver’s sentences on charges typically punishable between six to 30 years in prison were below the midpoint sentencing range.

Prosecutors at the time said Oliver responded to women’s ads online and would agree to meet them for sex in exchange for money.

Oliver would then force the women into a room in his basement, which one victim described as a “sex dungeon,” according to a motion filed by prosecutors in November 2013.

In the motion, Oliver was accused of recording many of the assaults, calling women his “property” and telling them “no one would hear [them] scream.”

On Jan. 28, 2013, multiple videos of unidentified women were recovered from his house. 

In the videos, he is physically rough with the women and threatens them, according to statements made by the state’s attorney’s office in 2013 court filings.

During a police interview, Oliver admitted to picking up prostitutes and listing ads on Craigslist, and bringing them to the basement because one woman had escaped from the house, prosecutors said.  

Oliver is required to register as a sex offender. His projected parole release date is Sept. 25, 2043, according to the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.