MARENGO – An attempt to thaw frozen pipes led to a Friday afternoon house fire.
Huntley Fire Protection District units responded to a call in the 11500 block of South Grant Highway in Marengo about 3:30 p.m. Friday after a resident reported smoke coming from their house.
The resident had been attempting to defrost frozen pipes with a torpedo heater when a fire started. He put the fire out with a garden hose, but it rekindled, according to Huntley fire officials.
The Marengo Fire Protection District responded to the two-alarm call as well, according to scanner responses.
No one was injured. A damage estimate wasn’t available Friday night. Fire crews left the scene about 7 p.m.