Huntley Fire Protection District units responded to a call in the 11500 block of South Grant Highway in Marengo about 3:30 p.m. Friday after a resident reported smoke coming from his house.
The resident had been trying to defrost frozen pipes with a torpedo heater when a fire started. He put the fire out with a garden hose, but it rekindled, Huntley fire officials said Friday.
No one was injured in the blaze, but the flames caused an estimated $150,000 worth of damage to the home and its contents, Huntley Fire Chief Scott Ravagnie said Saturday.
The Red Cross and 1-800-BOARDUP assisted the two residents the fire displaced, Ravagnie said.