ALGONQUIN – Owners were trying to thaw frozen water pipes Tuesday at Algonquin Sub Shop when wood siding caught fire, officials said.
The Algonquin-Lake in the Hills Fire Protection District responded about 12:07 p.m. to the shop, 105 Filip Road, Algonquin.
The fire was extinguished by
12:27 p.m. No injuries were reported, according to a news release.
The shop closed because of smoke damage, Battalion Chief John Knebl said.
“We will keep information [coming] on repairs and when we will reopen! Thank you all for your support!” the business’ Twitter account read.
The owners of the popular sandwich shop were trying to heat up the crawl space of the sub shop with a propane heating device, Assistant Fire Chief Mike Kern said.
McHenry County saw a high of
11 degrees Tuesday and a wind chill as low as 14 degrees below zero, according to the National Weather Service.
The fire district is reminding residents to use extreme caution as temperatures drop when choosing to use unconventional types of heating inside and outside buildings. Heat lamps and portable heaters pose a risk near combustible materials or when not used in accordance with manufacturer recommendations, the district wrote in a social media post.
The Crystal Lake Fire Rescue District, Carpentersville Fire Department and Fox River Grove and Huntley fire protection districts also responded.
A damage estimate was not available Tuesday afternoon.