Local

New charges could delay trials for Algonquin man accused of child sex assault, sex abuse

Richard Lampp, of the 100 block of Brook Street, Algonquin.
Richard Lampp, of the 100 block of Brook Street, Algonquin.

ALGONQUIN – The jury trials for a 57-year-old Algonquin man charged with a series of sex offenses could be pushed back after prosecutors said they plan on filing additional child pornography charges.

Richard Lampp, of the 100 block of Brook Street, has been charged in two separate cases with predatory criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault, sexual exploitation of a child, predatory criminal sexual abuse and aggravated criminal sexual abuse.

The most serious charge in each case, predatory criminal sexual assault, typically is punishable by six to 30 years in prison.

Between January and December 2014, Lampp is accused of inappropriately touching a girl younger than 17, according to a complaint filed in McHenry County court.

Charges in another case allege that Lampp assaulted a girl younger than 13 in July 2016.

At least one of the girls was someone Lampp knew, according to the complaint.

He was arrested Aug. 26, 2016, and additional charges were filed against him in a separate case Sept. 8 of that year.

McHenry County Assistant Public Defender Grant Tucker now is asking Judge James Cowlin for more time to review photographs turned over to him by prosecutors.

On Friday, McHenry County Assistant State’s Attorney Victor Escarcida told Tucker that the prosecution had received photographs from law enforcement officials related to the August 2016 charges, according to a motion filed Tuesday.

The cases were scheduled to go to jury trials Tuesday and Jan. 16.

Prosecutors believe the photos were taken in July 2016 and had been saved to one of Lampp’s electronic devices, according to the motion. One of the photos is believed to include a minor who Lampp is accused of abusing.

Many of the photos could be considered child pornography, and prosecutors anticipate filing additional charges, McHenry County Assistant State’s Attorney Sharyl Eisenstein told the judge Wednesday.

Cowlin is expected to make a decision on Tucker’s request Thursday morning.

Lampp’s case has been in court more than 29 times in the past two years. Most of the 40 documents – ranging from judges’ orders to the original criminal complaints – in both cases have been impounded. None can be viewed through the county’s electronic public access software.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.