CRYSTAL LAKE – Vanessa Lindahl awoke in an ambulance shaking uncontrollably and soaking wet from sweat after receiving a dose of naloxone.
"It felt like my extremities were on fire – like someone was taking a torch to my fingertips and toes," the 36-year-old Woodstock woman said.
The first time she overdosed from heroin, her neighbor called 911 and she was given the dose from emergency responders.
"I was pissed off that they Narcan'd me because I was so high and enjoying my high, and they took me out of it," Lindahl said of the first time she was given naloxone – also known by its brand name, Narcan – in October 2015. "Really, that was my mentality at that point. I was so sick."
After Lindahl was admitted to a hospital, she signed herself out against medical advice and was high again within an hour. In her nine years as a heroin addict, she's gone to seven treatment centers, had 21 detoxes, was in and out of county jails and overdosed twice. But she said she wouldn't be in recovery today – or alive – without the doses of naloxone she received.