SPRING GROVE – A Spring Grove couple had to be rescued from their home Wednesday after water rushed into the house and flooded their yard.
Joseph Callas and his pregnant fiancée, Carli Navarre, live on rented property in the 7500 block of Carleton Drive in unincorporated Spring Grove. The couple watched as about
2 to 4 inches of rain fell Tuesday, melting some leftover snow, and they saw the Nippersink Creek rise throughout the day.
The Spring Grove fire and rescue team was dispatched about 11:45 a.m. Wednesday when water was 2 feet deep in the couple’s yard. The water had risen through the crawl space and was coming into the living area from heat vents, according to a news release from the Spring Grove Fire Protection District.
The crew floated a boat to the front door and assisted the residents into the boat. While near the house, the crew turned off the home’s gas and electricity.
The melted snow and rain have caused Nippersink Creek to spill out of its banks and flow rapidly, making a dangerous current, according to the release. Moving through the creek is dangerous because of downed trees and wires and the inability to see beneath the water.
“With my fiancée being pregnant, there is no way I was going to risk carrying her out, and we needed to be rescued immediately,” Callas said.
The building suffered significant water damage.
“If you look at the floorboards, the water is bubbling up, and the house is uninhabitable now,” Callas said. “Now we can’t go back there because of the mold. She can’t inhale that. No one can live there. It’s disgusting.”
The couple is staying with family now, and they will be looking for a new place to live. A lot of their items are damaged, and they did not have renters’ insurance, Callas said.
“The fire department has a very nice water rescue boat. I should have put more stuff in there – I have a PlayStation and guitar, but we had a priority to hurry up,” he said. “The current was so bad [that] it was hard to pull the boat.”