Time to get your hero on! The eighth annual McHenry County Human Race is April 22.
So far, more than 70 nonprofits are participating and looking for your support. This community 5K walk/run will bring together more than 1,000 people at McHenry County College. The goal is to help create a healthy community. Visit www.mchumanrace.org or call 815-344-4483 to register or for information.
This unique race lets race participants designate which local nonprofit will receive the proceeds of their registration fee, as well as any fundraising they do. It is a fun event that brings out heroes and colorful costumes. From 6:45 to 10:30 a.m., a nonprofit expo will take place at MCC.
Start getting your family, friends, workplace, church and school groups ready. Registration is waiting for you!
These capacity-building workshops and network opportunities also are coming up. They’re open to anyone but aimed at helping nonprofits.
• March 2: First Friday Focus on Funding – learn how to search for grants
• March 6: What the Hashtag ... Instagram Marketing Workshop
• March 15: Volunteer Management Network
• March 19: Meet the Media – Get the Word Out!
• April 3: An Easy Button: Implementing Policies and Procedures
There currently are about 190 volunteer needs posted with Volunteer Center McHenry County waiting for your help. Here are a few:
• Volunteers are needed to lead horses during class and to walk next to riders as side-walkers to offer physical and emotional support. Training is in March.
• Dedicated, detail-oriented individuals are needed to help staff and research library volunteers analyze historic McHenry County newspapers for a major digitization project.
• A local shelter needs individuals to help organize and manage its food pantry.
• Join a team of dog walkers and meet other dog lovers!
For information about the Human Race, nonprofit classes, volunteer needs and how to get connected in your community, visit www.volunteercentermchenrycounty.org or call 815-344-4483. Volunteer Center McHenry County will be happy to get you connected.
• Rebecca Stiemke is the executive director of Volunteer Center McHenry County. Reach her at email@example.com or 815-344-4483.