Local

Village issues demolition permit for former Huntley Outlet Center

Property has been vacant since 2017

The village of Huntley has issued a demolition permit for the former Huntley Outlet Center.
The village of Huntley has issued a demolition permit for the former Huntley Outlet Center.

HUNTLEY – The village of Huntley has issued a demolition permit for the former Huntley Outlet Center.

Under a court order, the demolition must begin by April 16 and be complete by June 15.

The village sued the owners of the center in February to try to compel them either to make repairs on the deteriorating property or demolish it.

Earlier this month, developers of the center were ordered to make several repairs to the property under an “aggressive schedule,” with deadlines starting at the end of the month.

“The court found that continued noncompliance at this property is creating a danger to the public. Considering this finding by the court, the village and the property owners have entered into a settlement agreement, approved by the Village Board on March 8, 2018, to demolish the buildings,” according to a message on the village’s website.

Huntley officials were not available for comment Monday.

The property, at 11800 Factory Shops Boulevard, has sat empty since Banana Republic Factory Store shuttered in May. The center opened near the prominent Route 47 and Interstate 90 intersection in 1994, and at its peak, it housed more than 40 stores.

Indianapolis-based Simon Property Group sold the center in 2016 when it was less than half full. Huntley Investment Partners LLC bought the property, and the company was named in the lawsuit.

Owner representative Michael Reschke Jr. said that since shortly after acquiring the property, it had been the owners’ intent to close the center and explore other uses, but they also were open to repairing and reusing the outlet center if an adequate user could be found.

“Based on a year of soft marketing, there seemed to be little to no interest in reusing the outlet center improvements,” Reschke said. “We have to be confident that it’s worth removing [the buildings].”

Adam Marshall and James Schutter of Newmark Knight Frank have the listing, and they are actively marketing the site for redevelopment, Reschke said in an email.

He said the company plans to continue to market the property for mixed-use development, but it might explore the possibility of a zoning change, which would need to go through the village.

The change could allow the property to be used for manufacturing or industrial uses, he said.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.