Athlete of the Week
Woodstock North, jr., F
Prerost recorded her third hat trick of the season in Tuesday’s 4-0 win over Marengo. In the process, Prerost set the Woodstock North single-season goals record with 12, surpassing a record she held after scoring 11 goals last season.
With one assist in the match, Prerost set the North career record with 12 assists. CariAnne Sobey held the previous record with 11 assists. Prerost already has set the school’s career scoring mark. After her hat trick Tuesday, she is up to 26 career goals.
With a 7-1 record, North is positioned well to set a program record for wins. North won eight games in 2012 and 2017.
NORTHWEST HERALD POWER RANKINGS
1. Prairie Ridge (6-0, 1-0 Fox Valley Conference): The Wolves topped Cary-Grove in their first conference match. Prairie Ridge finally allowed a goal in the 4-1 victory after starting the year with five shutouts.
2. Crystal Lake Central (6-1-1, 2-0 FVC): The Tigers advanced to the semifinals in their bracket at the PepsiCo Showdown, squaring off against Lockport on Thursday.
3. Woodstock North (7-1, 5-0 KRC): North remains unbeaten in conference, with a matchup against unbeaten Burlington Central coming up Friday.
4. Dundee-Crown (5-4, 2-1 FVC): The Chargers split a pair of matches at the PepsiCo Showdown this week.
5. Cary-Grove (1-2-2, 1-1 FVC): So far the Trojans' only victory was a 2-0 win over D-C. They scored first against Prairie Ridge on Tuesday but allowed four consecutive goals.
PepsiCo semis: Three local teams advanced to the semifinals of their respective brackets at the PepsiCo Showdown. The tournament is broken down into six brackets, each producing a champion.
Crystal Lake Central will play in the semifinals of the U.S. Navy Bracket against Lockport on Thursday. Central beat Herscher, 3-0, and defeated Glenbard East in penalty kicks.
Jacobs and Crystal Lake South advanced to the semifinals of the U.S. Marine Corps Bracket. Jacobs squares off against Wheaton North, and South takes on Eisenhower. The Golden Eagles and Gators could square off in Saturday’s championship match.
Three in a row: Jacobs has won three matches in a row, improving to 4-2-2. The Eagles beat Harlem, Morton and Elgin over the past 10 days. Junior Cassie Kowalski has scored four goals in that span.
Cold-weather blues: Every team in the area has had to deal with cancellations in recent weeks because of unfavorable weather. Last week, Huntley and Marian Central played through a steady snowfall.
“We’re hampered by the weather, in terms of how we can train,” Marian coach Karl Smith said. “We’re training in a gym. Not that there’s nothing you can work on. But when it comes to spacing, it makes those kinds of things difficult.”
WHAT TO WATCH
Burlington Central at Woodstock North, 4:30 p.m. Friday: Burlington Central has not allowed a goal in KRC play. The Rockets beat Richmond-Burton 10-0 last week. North squeaked by R-B, 1-0, earlier this season.
PepsiCo Showdown, semifinals Thursday, finals Saturday: Crystal Lake Central, Jacobs and Crystal Lake South will play in semifinal matches.
Crystal Lake Central at Cary-Grove, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday: The Tigers and the Trojans square off in FVC action.