The McHenry County coroner has identified a man who died last week in a Harvard house fire.
Randall A. Hanson, 63, died Thursday. A preliminary autopsy shows that the man suffered from thermal and inhalation injuries, the coroner said.
Hanson was pronounced dead at the scene about 4 a.m.
Harvard police and fire officials responded about 3:15 a.m. to the 400 block of East Blackman Street for a reported fire that had begun in the basement of the home, officials said.
A 10-year-old boy, 14-year-old girl and 55-year-old woman escaped the fire, police said.
The fire caused about $75,000 in damage and appears to have been an accident because of careless smoking, police said.
The incident remains under investigation.