ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Cary-Grove, fr., F
Stayart scored the game-winning overtime goal to defeat Crystal Lake South on Tuesday and lock in a second-place finish in the Fox Valley Conference.
Stayart scored three goals and had one assist in two matches over the past week, including the win against South and a 7-0 win over Hampshire. Oddly enough, her sister, senior Kelly Stayart, also scored three goals and had one assist over those two games.
Kelly Stayart scored C-G’s first goal against South on Tuesday to help send the match to overtime.
NORTHWEST HERALD POWER RANKINGS
1. Prairie Ridge (14-0, 8-0 FVC): The Wolves finished off an undefeated regular season with an FVC title after defeating Huntley on Tuesday.
2. Cary-Grove (9-2-2, 7-1 FVC): The Trojans edged Crystal Lake South, 2-1, in overtime Tuesday to maintain hold on the No. 2 spot in the FVC.
3. Crystal Lake South (10-6, 6-2 FVC): Tuesday’s loss to C-G ended a six-game winning streak for the Gators.
4. Woodstock (14-3-4, 9-3 KRC): The Blue Streaks will finish the regular season in second behind Burlington Central in the Kishwaukee River Conference.
5. Crystal Lake Central (12-5-1, 5-3 FVC): Prairie Ridge handed Central a 6-0 loss May 3. The Tigers finished the regular season with a nonconference win over Belvidere North.
Struggling Thunder: After a 12-2 start to the season, Woodstock North has stumbled a little bit as the postseason draws near. North has dropped four straight matches and five of its past six.
That includes two losses to crosstown rival Woodstock. The Thunder lost to Burlington Central, 9-1, on Tuesday.
North is 13-7 with one more match against Richmond-Burton on Friday.
Class 1A regionals: The Class 1A regionals are underway, with Johnsburg advancing to Friday’s regional final against Harvest Christian, which the Skyhawks are hosting. Johnsburg defeated Elgin Academy, 10-0, in the regional semifinals this week.
Johnsburg also hosts the sectional, so a win means the Skyhawks will continue to play at home next week. With a regional title, Johnsburg would play in the sectional semifinals at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Harvard and Marengo both went down in other Class 1A action this week. Harvard lost, 2-0, to Harvest Christian in the Johnsburg Regional. Marengo lost to Oregon, 3-0, in the Class 1A Oregon Regional.
Class 2A and 3A regionals begin next week. In Class 3A, Jacobs earned the No. 2 seed in the Rockford Guilford Sectional, while C-G earned the No. 3 seed. In Class 2A, Prairie Ridge earned the top seed in its sub-sectional and will open play at the Marian Central Regional. Crystal Lake Central earned the No. 2 seed on the opposite side of the sectional.
WHAT TO WATCH
IHSA Class 1A regional championship, Harvest Christian Academy at Johnsburg, 4:30 p.m. Friday: The Skyhawks go for their second consecutive regional title Friday.
IHSA Class 2A regional semifinal, Woodstock at Crystal Lake South, 4 p.m. Wednesday: Two teams entering the postseason on a roll will have to square off in what is the postseason opener for both squads.
IHSA Class 2A regional semifinal, Woodstock North at Marian Central, 4:30 p.m. Wednesday: The winner of this match could draw Prairie Ridge in the regional title game.