ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Ben Harris, Prairie Ridge, jr., DH-P
Harris had nine RBIs in three games as the Wolves ran their winning streak to nine games with two wins against Crystal Lake Central and a victory over Jacobs.
Harris was 1 for 2 with a homer and three RBIs in an 8-5 win over Jacobs. He was 2 for 4 and 3 for 3, with three RBIs each, in wins over Central, 10-9 and 9-2.
Harris is hitting .372 with a team-high 24 RBIs heading into this week, one ahead of second baseman Roth Mizell.
Northwest Herald Power Rankings
1. Huntley (23-5): The Red Raiders have won six straight at an opportune time to grab a 1 1/2-game lead in the Fox Valley Conference standings over McHenry.
2. Prairie Ridge (17-11): The Wolves are heating up at the right time with nine consecutive wins. They are the largest team in the state in Class 3A when the playoffs start next week.
3. McHenry (20-10): The Warriors had a tough week with some close losses and fell behind Huntley in the FVC.
4. Jacobs (16-10-1): The Golden Eagles won three of their last four, two of which were one-run decisions with McHenry.
5. Richmond-Burton (18-9): The Rockets won their last 11 Kishwaukee River Conference games in a row to clinch the league tltle. They are done with their KRC games.
Rockets on top: R-B has not lost since an April 21 setback to Johnsburg and sewed up the KRC title with a doubleheader sweep of Marengo on Saturday.
Pitchers Jake Rosing, Luke Uhwat and Connor Donohoe have been tough in the rotation, while Jacob Poppe set the Rockets’ career saves mark last week with six.
R-B received the No. 7 seed in the Chicago Lake View Sectional and plays No. 9 Vernon Hills at 3 p.m. May 24 in the Vernon Hills Regional.
Tough matchups: Opponents usually have not liked the results when they have faced Huntley left-hander Kyle Morgan or McHenry righty Joe Kaminski this season.
Morgan is 7-2, with 59 strikeouts in 48 innings and has allowed five earned runs, for a 0.73 ERA. Kaminski had 68 strikeouts in 50 2/3 innings, a 6-3 record and has a 0.41 ERA.
Red Raiders in control: Huntley holds an advantage with five remaining games (before Tuesday) with a 1 1/2-game lead on McHenry in the FVC. The Raiders have one game against Crystal Lake South and three left with Prairie Ridge.
McHenry has four remaining games, one with Jacobs and three with Prairie Ridge.
What to Watch
Class 3A: Prairie Ridge is the No. 5 seed in the Chicago Lake View Sectional, R-B is No. 7. They are the highest local seeds there and would not meet until the sectional championship. Tournaments start on Monday with play-in games.
Class 4A: Huntley is the top seed at the Belvidere North Regional, while McHenry got the No. 2 seed and heads to the Cary-Grove Regional.