Careless smoking near a mattress caused a small house fire Thursday morning in McHenry, a fire official said.
McHenry Township Fire Protection District crews could be seen about
9:40 a.m. carrying a burnt mattress and bedding out of a home in the 1400 block of North Richmond Road.
They were called to the area about 8:55 a.m., according to police and fire dispatches.
“It was caused by careless use of smoking materials near the mattress. Accidental in nature,” Battalion Chief Mike Majercik said, adding no one was injured and three cats and a dog were safely removed.
Majercik said the house is habitable. Richmond Road was closed for less than 30 minutes because of the fire.
“We turned it back over to the tenants. It had about $7,500 worth of damage,” Majercik said.
The fire was located in an upstairs bedroom.
The U.S. Fire Administration advised that people never smoke near beds or leave ashes unattended. The administration also recommended that people put out their cigarettes in an ashtray or bucket of sand.