ATHLETE OF THE WEEK
Dillon Carlson, Crystal Lake Central, fr., 113
Carlson started his high school wrestling career off with a bang, winning all three matches at the 2018 Chris Hruska Wrestling Classic at Conant over Thanksgiving weekend. The tournament included a number of ranked teams in Class 2A and 3A.
Carlson is off to a 4-0 start after also picking up a pin in the Tigers’ dual match season-opener against Jacobs on Thursday.
At the Hruska Classic, Carlson defeated Niles Notre Dame’s Matthew Poniatowski via pin (1:49) in his opening match. He topped Conant’s Anthony Fioravanti by decision, 5-0, in the semifinal. Carlson then beat Glenbard North’s Patrick Curran by decision, 9-2, in the final.
1. Huntley: The Red Raiders won their first two Fox Valley Conference duals and moved to 7-1 overall, with their only loss coming against fellow 2018 Class 3A dual state qualifier Glenbard North.
2. Marian Central: Marian won its first three dual matches at the Glenbard East Quad over the weekend. A week earlier, the Hurricanes took third out of 16 teams at the Ted DeRousse Invitational at Antioch.
3. Jacobs: The Golden Eagles secured a big-time victory against Crystal Lake Central, 39-34, in the FVC opener. They also beat McHenry in an FVC dual.
4. Crystal Lake Central: Despite the FVC-opening loss to Jacobs, Central turned in a strong showing at the Hruska Classic with its fifth-place finish out of 14 varsity teams.
5. Crystal Lake South: Off to a 4-1 start in dual matches, the Gators are 2-0 in the FVC after wins over Prairie Ridge and Hampshire. Ranked No. 25 in Class 2A, South’s only loss came against Class 3A opponent Leyden.
Glenbard North’s revenge: Glenbard North's 31-30 win over Huntley gave the Panthers revenge after the Red Raiders defeated them, 35-31, in last season's Class 3A dual team state quarterfinals.
Glenbard North is currently ranked No. 8 in Class 3A, while Huntley is one spot behind it at No. 9.
Ranked No. 1: Crystal Lake South’s Christian Olsen (106, Class 2A), Marian Central’s Elon Rodriguez (113, 2A) and Huntley's David Ferrante (160, 3A) are all ranked No. 1 in their respective classes in the Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association state rankings.
Rodriguez took first at the Ted DeRousse Invitational over Thanksgiving weekend. Olsen went 3-0 at the Leyden Quad last weekend. Ferrante had two first-period pins over the weekend at the Plainfield Central quad.
WHAT TO WATCH
Huntley at Crystal Lake South, 6 p.m. Friday: The Gators get their toughest FVC test. Huntley hasn’t lost an FVC match in more than two seasons.
Aurora Christian at Marian Central, 6 p.m. Monday: The defending Class 1A state champion heads to Woodstock to battle the Hurricanes.