Four people evacuated a Cary home Sunday night after a grease fire started on the stove and spread, according to a news release from the Cary Fire Protection District.
Crews were dispatched at 6:32 p.m. Sunday to the zero to 100 block of Fairfield Lane, according to the release. Responders arrived at 6:36 p.m. and discovered smoke coming from the split-level home, which already had been evacuated, according to the release.
Crews put out the fire within 15 minutes of arriving, according to the release.
The homeowner said she was cooking on a stove in the upstairs kitchen when she started a grease a fire, which spread to the wall and cabinets.
The fire was contained to the kitchen area but the rest of the house sustained smoke and water damage, which left it uninhabitable, according to the release.
Cary Lt. Michael Douglass said Monday the fire caused $45,000 in damage. The cause of the fire was determined to be an accident, and no one was injured, according to the release.
In the interim, the wife, husband and two children who were displaced will be staying with relatives, according to the release.
Fire departments from Barrington, Barrington-Countryside, Fox River Grove and Nunda Rural also responded to the scene as part of an automatic aid agreement.
Crews were on scene for about an hour and a half, Douglass said.