Athlete of the Week
Hannah Ritter, Marengo, sr., OF
Ritter has recorded multiple hits in six of her past seven games, raising her batting average to .561 and on-base percentage to .655. Ritter finished 13 for 20 last week with a homer, a double, a triple, 12 runs scored and five RBIs.
The leadoff hitter leads Marengo with 61 runs, 16 doubles, 31 walks and 38 stolen bases in 41 attempts through Wednesday.
Northwest Herald Power Rankings
(Records through Wednesday)
1. Crystal Lake South (30-2): The Gators won their first Fox Valley Conference title in 12 years and reached 30 wins for the first time in program history.
2. Huntley (29-7): The Red Raiders have won 13 games in a row and are looking for their fourth straight Class 4A regional title. Huntley beat Auburn, 15-0, in the regional semifinals Tuesday.
3. Richmond-Burton (18-3-1): The Rockets captured the Kishwaukee River Conference title outright with a 4-2 win over Johnsburg. R-B beat St. Viator on Tuesday in the regional semifinals.
4. Marengo (21-15): The Indians won the first two KRC titles but took second this season behind R-B, finishing 9-3, one game behind the Rockets. Marengo beat Woodstock, 14-1, Tuesday in the regional semifinals.
5. McHenry (20-12): The Warriors are 13-2 over their past 15 games and are looking for their seventh regional title in the past eight years. McHenry's 10-6 record in the FVC is a six-game improvement from last year.
All-ESCC honors: Marian Central, which finished 8-6 in the East Suburban Catholic Conference, had four players named to the all-conference team, which was announced Wednesday. Senior shortstop and Penn State commit Maggie Finnegan, senior pitcher Jamie Gatz and sophomores Jenna Golembiewski and Molly Fitzgerald were named to the 26-player team.
Finnegan, Gatz and Golembiewski are two-time All-ESCC selections. Fitzgerald is a first-time pick.
Another no-no: Woodstock North senior Ellie Thurow tossed her second no-hitter of the season Wednesday, striking out 12 batters over five innings in a 10-0 victory against Lakes in a Class 3A Marengo Regional semifinal. Lakes' only base runner reached on an error.
Thurow, who entered Thursday 13-9 with a 2.27 ERA and 265 strikeouts in 154 1/3 innings this season, has seven no-hitters in her four-year varsity career, including three in the postseason.
What to Watch
Class 3A Antioch Regional: Johnsburg, seeded ninth, plays No. 1 Antioch for the title at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Class 4A Harlem Regional: Second-seeded Huntley goes after its fifth straight 4A regional title against third-seeded Harlem at 4:30 p.m. Friday.
Class 3A Vernon Hills Regional: No. 11 Prairie Ridge and No. 3 Grayslake Central battle for the championship at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Class 4A Cary-Grove Regional: No. 3 McHenry takes on seventh-seeded Grant in Saturday's 11 a.m. regional final.