Local

Overnight fire sparked by cigarettes causes minor damage to Johnsburg home

No one was injured during the fire

An early morning fire caused damage to a Johnsburg house Tuesday, McHenry Township Fire Protection District said in a news release.

Officials suspect discarded cigarettes sparked the fire, according to the release.

The district responded about 2:15 a.m. Tuesday to the 2200 block of Coolidge Avenue in Johnsburg for a reported structure fire. When the crew arrived, there was light smoke coming through the eaves near the front door of the ranch home, according to the district.

Fire fighters overhauled the eaves and determined the fire was out. No fire or smoke entered the home, according to the district.

Five McHenry Township Fire District vehicles and 19 firefighters responded to the scene. Fox Lake and Spring Grove fire departments were initially called but returned once crews realized there wasn't an active fire, according to the district.

McHenry County Sheriff's Office also responded.

Residents were home at the time but no one was injured during the incident.

The damage is estimated at $5,000 and is limited the outside wall of the porch and deck, according to the district.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.