News

Retired Alden-Hebron District 19 superintendent to serve as own part-time replacement

Debbie Ehlenburg takes on part-time, interim superintendent role

District 19 School Superintendent Debbie Ehlenburg and Board President Mike Norton review financial proposals May 15 at the district meeting in Hebron.
District 19 School Superintendent Debbie Ehlenburg and Board President Mike Norton review financial proposals May 15 at the district meeting in Hebron.

Alden-Hebron District 19’s retired superintendent has been hired as her own replacement.

Debbie Ehlenburg retired at the end of last school year but will return on a part-time basis as the interim superintendent, according to the district. She will work no more than 120 days a year and earn $75,000. The position doesn’t come with benefits such as health insurance or paid time off, according to district documents.

Ehlenburg’s interim contract runs from Aug. 8 to June 30, 2020. She can’t be under contract with any other school district during this time frame, according to district documents.

There is no timeline for the board to establish a full-time, permanent superintendent, according to the district. Ehlenburg has been with the district for 33 years. She was superintendent for 12 years, according to the district.

“The board is pleased to rehire Dr. Ehlenburg on a part-time basis in order to provide continuity and administrative training for the district’s staff and provide support to the community,” district officials wrote in a news release.

The district now has Ehlenburg along with a full-time principal who oversees both the high school and middle school and a full-time administrator who serves as both assistant superintendent and elementary school principal, according to the district.

Tiffany Elswick is assistant superintendent and elementary school principal. Her contract runs July 1 to June 30, 2021. She earns $100,000 annually plus benefits, according to her contract.

Elswick is expected to spend about 80% of her time focused on the elementary school and the other 20% focusing on her assistant superintendent duties, according to the district.

Tim Hayunga is principal for District 19’s middle and high schools. His salary runs July 1 to June 30, 2020. He earns 92,876 annually plus benefits.

The district has a total enrollment of 415 students, with 112 high school students, 83 middle school students and 218 kindergarten and elementary school students, according to last available data from the Illinois State Board of Education.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.