Most parents dedicate a great deal of effort to raising children to be outstanding adults. With Mother’s Day and Father’s Day approaching, we have an excellent opportunity to set an example for our children by encouraging them to make or buy and give a token of their love to their mom and dad. While this may be more challenging when parents have broken up, it is even more important to set this example when children are navigating the loss and change that comes as a result of a break up.
Encouraging your children to give gifts to your former partner will do some great things!
- Send a message to the children that there is still a family structure even though different from before.
- Clarify that the children are not only allowed to but are encouraged to love the other parent and to participate in celebrations with them.
- Establish a foundation for how your children should treat people when they grow up and encourage them to be giving and generous in spirit.
- Demonstrate to the children the importance of giving in all of their relationships.
- Help in the healing of old wounds for everyone.
GIfts do not have to be expensive, but a thoughtful and appropriate gift given with love will help to promote the ideals that excellent parents strive for every day.
Some examples of great gifts:
- Gift card to a movie theater, nail salon, sporting goods store, restaurant, ice cream shop.
- A coupon from the child to do a fun activity with the other parent like miniature golf or taking a bike ride or to do a household task.
- A handmade project from a local merchant like Hand Made on Main or Color Me Mine or from Pinterest.
- A framed picture of the child or children.
741 S. McHenry Avenue
Crystal Lake, IL 60014