Local

Crystal Lake Mayor Aaron Shepley wins re-election, unofficial results say

Crystal Lake Mayor Aaron Shepley
Crystal Lake Mayor Aaron Shepley

CRYSTAL LAKE – Longtime Crystal Lake Mayor Aaron Shepley is set for another four years, according to unofficial election results.

The 16-year incumbent faced write-in challenger Sascha Chadwick, a certified public accountant and property manager who ran on what he said was a need to change the tone at City Hall.

Chadwick decided to run as a write-in candidate – a notoriously uphill battle – after he was thrown off the ballot in December for failing to consecutively number and neatly bind his nominating papers as required by Illinois election law.

Shepley took just shy of 70 percent of the vote Tuesday evening with write-in entries garnering the other 30 percent, according to the unofficial results released by the McHenry County Clerk's Office.

Whether all those write-in votes were for Chadwick was still up in the air Tuesday night as they had to be manually entered into the system, McHenry County Clerk Mary McClellan said.

Chadwick said he's waiting until all the votes votes are in to talk about what his plans for the future are, but he said he thinks "the mayor should take away that people are watching, people are interested and people are worried about the direction the city of Crystal Lake is heading."

But Shepley isn't taking the 1,059 write-in votes as a sign that his approach in Crystal Lake needs to be altered.

"I believe that our City Council has done a great job over the last four years and the last 16 years that most of us have been together," he said. "Nothing about this election changes that. ... There’s always a chance that some people are going to come away unhappy because you didn't do what they wanted, but you still have to make decisions that you think are best for the city at large." 

His plans for the future include building up the city's reserve funds so that there will be money in the bank to support infrastructure improvements and continuing to improve the Three Oaks Recreation Area, focusing on evolving that "into an even better place than it already is," he said, adding all that needs to be balanced against the overall economic condition of the state.

The three incumbent Crystal Lake city council members up this April – Cathy Ferguson, Brett Hopkins and Ellen Brady Mueller – went to the ballot unchallenged after newcomer Jeremy Krick's nominating petitions were also thrown out this past December, in this case for not having enough valid signatures.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.