LAKE IN THE HILLS – Students at a Lake in the Hills elementary school eventually were able to return to classes Thursday after administrators spotted a small electrical fire in the school’s kitchen area.
School District 300 spokesman Anthony McGinn worked Thursday morning to calm anxious parents’ fears on Facebook after students at Lincoln Prairie Elementary, 500 Harvest Gate, were evacuated because of a reported fire.
“Earlier this morning, administration contacted the fire department after observing smoke near the kitchen area at Lincoln Prairie Elementary,” McGinn said in a post about 10:30 a.m.
Firefighters found a small electrical fire in the kitchen and extinguished it.
Students temporarily were relocated to Lake in the Hills Village Hall “to err on the side of caution,” McGinn said.
This also allowed firefighters to better access the building and assess the incident. An air quality test confirmed that it was safe for students to return.
No one was injured in the incident, and students ate lunch and finished classes in the building.
Additional staff was on-site to assist if needed, according to the post. McGinn asked parents to have patience when calling the school because it was receiving a high volume of calls.
Anyone with concerns also can contact the District 300 office at 847-551-8300.