A judge Friday ordered one year of court supervision for an 18-year-old accused of creating and sending out false threats to shoot students at Cary-Grove High School.
Daniel M. Battaglia, of the 200 block of Foxford Drive, Cary, accepted a plea deal to attempted disorderly conduct.
If he successfully completes the supervision period, the offense could be removed from his record.
Police arrested Battaglia on Feb. 28 at Cary-Grove High School in connection with a social media threat posted earlier that week.
Battaglia created a false threat to shoot the students at Cary-Grove by overlaying images from a former student’s Facebook account.
He then sent a text message of the fabricated post to about 20 others, according to a complaint filed in McHenry County court.
McHenry County Judge Sharon Prather also ordered Battaglia to write apology letters to certain people affected by the post, pay $773 in restitution and serve 100 hours of community service.
Battaglia originally was charged with threatening a school – a felony offense typically punishable by one to three years in prison.
The threat was not connected to another social media threat that took place Jan. 31, police said at the time. Police determined there was no actual threat to students or the school.
After issuing the sentence, Prather told the man she hoped he learned a “very valuable lesson.”
Battaglia told the judge he wouldn’t commit another crime.