A mysterious explosion sparked a fire that destroyed a McHenry garage Saturday night, authorities said.
At 5:10 p.m., the McHenry Township Fire Protection District was dispatched to the 400 block of North Mineral Spring Drive after a report that there was an explosion inside a garage, Battalion Chief David Harwood said.
Because the home is on a dead-end street in unincorporated McHenry with no fire hydrants nearby, fire crews had to bring a tanker truck full of water.
Firefighters spent the next 30 minutes battling a fire that engulfed the garage, Harwood said.
They were able to stop the fire before it spread to the house, he said.
The garage was declared a total loss.
“It was gutted,” Harwood said.
The cause of the explosion – so powerful that it blew one of the walls a foot away from the base of the garage – still is under investigation.