Northwest Herald Campaign Questionnaire
Name: Cathy Cagle
Town: Crystal Lake
Office sought: Crystal Lake Park Board
Occupation: Online Business Consultant
Education: MA - English Literature, Indiana University, BA - English Literature, University of Wisconsin
Elected offices held: Commissioner, Crystal Lake Park District (appointed to fill vacancy 8/2018)
1. What is your largest priority for the Crystal Lake Park District?
To ensure continued fiscal integrity while working hard to serve the needs of the greater community with an eye to both the present and the future.
2. What changes should the Crystal Lake Park District make in the future?
Audit properties owned by the Park District to see if we truly need everything. Create an advisory committee to improve accessibility for all. Increase community garden space. Increase program fees for non-residents. Continue to increase the speed at which bonds are paid off thereby decreasing interest costs while increasing available funds.
3. What are your thoughts on how the Crystal Lake Park District has worked in recent years?
Fantastic job meeting the needs of working families through programming. Great work turning around financially struggling facilities. Very strong staffing, especially in leadership positions.
4. What makes you stand out from your opponents?
My family and I are very active Park District users and that hands-on appreciation and use is invaluable and unique.
5. What actions have you not agreed with in the Crystal Lake Park District in recent years?
The Park District has not done a great job at explaining how and why bonds work. We should be recognizing and celebrating the District’s AA Bond Rating and Certificate of Financial Achievement in Financial Reporting instead of responding to and deflecting false accusations.
6. What else should voters know about you?
I’m a strong strategic thinker with fresh ideas, energy, and strong skills. I’m excited to be part of the Park District and look forward to serving our community!