A McHenry County judge Thursday found a 29-year-old Elgin man guilty of sexually assaulting a young girl in 2009.
William J. Dugar Jr.’s bench trial last week included testimony from the victim, who was about 8 years old at the time of the sexual assault, prosecutors said. Dugar knew the girl and her family.
Years later, the victim’s father came across a news article about separate sexual assault charges that were filed against Dugar in 2010 in Kane County. The father asked his daughter if Dugar ever had been inappropriate with her, and she responded, “How did you know?” prosecutors said at trial.
During closing arguments, Assistant Public Defender Grant Tucker questioned the reliability of the girl’s disclosure.
“This is a case with no physical evidence and a nonspontaneous response to her father’s directed question,” Tucker said during closing arguments.
Prosecutors also played a 2017 recorded interview with the girl as she spoke with investigators at the Child Advocacy Center. During the interview, the girl told investigators that Dugar “got a little touchy” with her. The victim in the 2010 Kane County case also testified against Dugar, who is not eligible for probation.
He is scheduled for sentencing
July 19 and faces between nine and 67 years in prison.
Dugar would be required to serve 85% of the prison term under Illinois truth in sentencing laws. He also will have to register as a sex offender for life.