Woodstock City Council has given approval for its 2019 street resurfacing plan but cut two proposed projects due to high bids.
The city plans to complete street resurfacing on 12 streets and the Ryder Woods lot, city documents said. The original plan had been to resurface 14 streets, but the two bids that came back were more expensive than anticipated, city documents said.
The resurfacing of Lincoln Avenue from Dacy Street to Tryon Street and Wheeler Street from First Street to Third Street were eliminated.
The increased Illinois fuel tax and oil price changes likely are why construction costs went up, city documents said.
Crystal Lake-based Curran Contracting Co. bid $2,522,210 for the work, and Schaumburg-based A Lamp Concrete Contractors Inc. bid $2,504,343. The city has agreed to enter into a contract with A Lamp for the work with costs not to exceed $1,726,000, city documents said.
The city also will pay Hampton, Lenzini and Renwick Inc. to provide construction engineering inspection services for the 2019 program, which will cost $30,000, city documents said.
Home Rule sales tax funding also is allocated to complete engineering for the eventual replacement of Melody Lane and St. Johns Road bridges, at $225,000; the South Street roundabout, at $50,000; Safe Routes for Schools sidewalk project, at $35,000; and to build reserves in preparation for the Route 47 widening project and completion of the Safe Routes program, city documents said.
Some of those funds will be put toward the street resurfacing plan now, however, because the city didn’t receive expected grant funding for the Safe Routes sidewalk project and a federal grant toward the Melody Lane bridge replacement is delayed, according to city documents.
The streets included in the resurfacing plan include:
• Aspen Drive, from its entrance to Applewood Lane
• Bull Valley Drive from Taurus Court to Oakmont Drive
• Castle Road from Route 47 to Willow Brook entrance
• Dakota Ridge Drive; Dane Street from Washington Street to Dacy Street, plus 500 feet
• Lamb Road from the Railroad Tracks, north to the city limit
• Robert Drive from Thomas Drive to Carlisle Drive
• Roosevelt Street from Lawndale Avenue to Oakwood Street
• Short Street from Wicker Street to the railroad tracks
• Todd Avenue from Madison Street to Route 47
• WIcker Street from Route 120 to the railroad tracks
• Willow Avenue from Tappan Street to Walnut Drive