An external gas leak at Deer Path Elementary School, 2211 Crystal Lake Road, Thursday morning led to the evacuation of the building for about 45 minutes, according to an email to parents from Cary District 26 Superintendent Brian Coleman.
According to the email, staff members noticed a gas odor in the building at the start of the school day. The Cary Fire Protection District was called to the school immediately and students and staff were moved to Cary Junior High School next door.
Deputy Fire Chief Ken Destree with the Cary Fire Protection District said crews arrived at 8:33 a.m. and discovered that the leak had been caused by a lawn mower that knocked the regulator off of a gas meter.
Coleman said in the email that the leak was isolated and remedied quickly and the fire district and gas company gave the all clear for students and staff to return to the building within 45 minutes.
Destree said crews cleared the school at 9:05 a.m.
School resumed as normal for the remainder of the day, Coleman said.
“I want to commend the students and staff for their quick action in evacuating the building and ensuring everyone was safe during the incident,” Coleman wrote in his email. “I also want to think the fire department for a quick response and a determination that it was safe to return.”