Local

Halogen light causes minor fire at Cary home, officials say

A hot bulb from a halogen light is believed to have caused a small fire Thursday morning at a home in Cary, Cary Fire Protection District officials said.

Deputy Chief Ken Destree said firefighters responded at 7:56 a.m. to a home at 527 Berriedale Drive and discovered a smoldering fire with no visible flames in a bookcase in the house’s living room.

An investigation determined that a hot bulb from a halogen light ignited some of the books on the top shelf of the bookcase, fire officials said.

“It could’ve developed into something more, but it was caught quickly,” Destree said.

No injuries were reported, and the fire was isolated to the living room, which didn’t require the house to be declared uninhabitable.

Destree said the last unit left the house about 10 a.m. once the investigation and cleanup efforts were finished.

Loading more

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com and all Shaw Local content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.