Local

'Unusual system' led to far less snow than expected

Fluctuating forecast to dodge significant snowfall

Vehicles travel along Route 14 during a snow storm Nov. 11 in Cary.
Vehicles travel along Route 14 during a snow storm Nov. 11 in Cary.

The monster storm that was expected to hit Tuesday will no longer impact the area, according to the National Weather Service in Chicago.

About 6 inches of snow was expected to fall Tuesday and Wednesday just 20 to 48 hours ago. Now, the NWS is saying the area will only see about an inch of snow.

McHenry, Kane and DeKalb counties will still see light snow accumulating starting Tuesday evening. With a 50% chance of snow after 9 p.m. Tuesday, McHenry County will see periods of moderate snow which will wind down by sunrise Wednesday. Tuesday and Wednesday will be blustery, with wind with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Kane and DeKalb counties may get slightly higher amounts of snowfall than McHenry County, said Lee Carlaw, meteorologist for the Chicago NWS. A 40% chance of snow is likely for Kane and DeKalb counties Tuesday evening, and a 60% chance of snow is likley after 10 p.m. Tuesday.

Carlaw said a storm-track shift in intiating the snow storm further south and east, meaning the area will mostly dodge any significant snowfall.

How large the track shift was in a short timeframe is unusual, he said.

“The forecast has been sort of in flux over the last few days. It's been kind of an unusual system, where just where just a couple of days ago it was looking like you in McHenry County might actually get the brunt of the snow fall,” he said.

Although, there is no longer a winter storm watch in effect, the NWS service has issued a hazardous weather outlook.

Digital Access

Digital Access
Access nwherald.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, prep sports, Chicago sports, local and regional entertainment, business, home and lifestyle, food, classified and more! News you use every day! Daily, weekend and Sunday packages.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Stay connected to us wherever you are! Get breaking news updates along with other area information sent to you as a text message to your wireless device.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
We'll deliver news & updates to your inbox. Plan your weekend and catch up on the news with our newsletters.