A shopper dropped a homemade hand sanitizer at Meijer in McHenry, prompting all to evacuate the store Sunday morning, according to the McHenry Township Fire Protection District.
As a precaution, police and fire departments arrived about 9 a.m. Sunday at the Meijer on 2253 N. Richmond Road in McHenry to confirm the identity of the product and to make sure nobody was exposed, said Kevin Sears, battalion chief.
Authorities ventilated the building so there weren’t any toxic odors after the hand sanitizer reportedly stunk up the store.
“We checked out two store employees to make sure they were ok who were in proximity to the chemical,” Sears said.
The spill was cleaned up and the incident was handled within 20 minutes, Sears said.
“It was pretty uneventful,” he said.