No one was injured Tuesday in a fire that left a Ringwood home uninhabitable, officials said.
The McHenry Township Fire Protection District responded about 5:30 p.m. for a reported riding lawn mower on fire next to a garage in the 4900 block of Patty Lane, according to a news release.
When firefighters arrived, smoke and fire were visible in the the one-story, single-family home. Fire officials learned that the blaze had spread quickly to the house and into the attic, according to the release.
The building was searched for any residents inside and officials confirmed that everyone had safely exited.
A crew cut two holes in the roof to confine fire in the attic space. A MABAS Box Alarm initially was requested because the neighborhood in which the fire took place does not have fire hydrants, according to the release.
Several water tenders from bordering agencies responded, and the fire was extinguished in about 20 minutes.
The fire was investigated by the McHenry Township Fire Protection District and was determined to be accidental.