When it comes to making healthy choices, menu planning is essential.
“Menu planning saves you money, it reduces stress and it leads to healthier eating,” said Julie Holbrook, a registered and licensed dietitian nutritionist at the Centegra Healthy Living Institute.
Holbrook offers up a recipe for kale medley salad, a healthy, grab-and-go dinner you can make in advance:
Kale medley salad kit
- Panko-breaded chicken
- Mixed fruit
- Consider grapes, strawberries, chopped apples
- Roasted vegetables
- Consider Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips, cauliflower
- Blue cheese (optional)
- Walnuts and cashews
- Dried cherries or low-sugar dried cranberries
- Fresh kale
- Poppyseed dressing
1. Start with a salad shaker, adding the heaviest ingredients first, so they are on the bottom. Add baked Panko-breaded chicken, and any mixed fruit you may have in the refrigerator, such as grapes, strawberries or chopped apples.
2. Add roasted vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, parsnips, turnips or cauliflower. Add blue cheese for saltiness, if desired.
3. Add walnuts or cashews for a little bit of crunch, and dried cherries or low-sugar dried cranberries for a touch of sweetness.
4. Finally, add as much kale as you can fit in the shaker. Note: You can add dressing to kale the night before, and it won’t get soggy. Then shake and serve.
Call the Centegra Healthy Living Institute at 815-788-227 to schedule a nutrition consultation and learn more about healthy recipes, weight goal strategies or diet-related disease management.
Centegra Health System, 4309 Medical Center Drive, McHenry, IL 60050