People don’t like to hire an attorney so they often put it off for as long as possible. This can be detrimental to your position. Here are some insights into when you should consult with an attorney so that you know your rights and obligations and the steps to take if things change.
- If you have been involved in a car accident, a fall, or have a work- related injury, please talk to an attorney before you speak to anyone else even an insurance representative other than an emergency room physician!
- If you have had a child and you are not married to the other parent, it is wise to talk to an attorney so even if you are getting along well.
- When you are planning on getting married. This is not to prepare a prenuptial agreement, but to know some things to do and not do to protect yourself and your soon to be spouse.
- When you have received a sizeable financial gift or any inheritance.
- When there is domestic violence or emotional abuse. Many attorneys do not charge for a consultation and the meeting is confidential. You will not be hurt by a meeting and it may help you.
- If you are unhappy in your marriage, even before you have decided to get a divorce.
- If you learn or suspect that your spouse is involved in a relationship with someone else.
- If your spouse is spending large sums of money on items without your consent or agreement.
- If your spouse is abusing alcohol or drugs.
Be aware that some people will interview multiple attorneys to block them from representing the other person. Once an interview happens, an attorney cannot represent the other party. As a result, it is important to conduct your interviews and research early. More next month on how to research attorneys.
741 S. McHenry Avenue
Crystal Lake, IL 60014